Installation Problem (LILO)

Thank you very much  Mr.Matthew Dalton of your excellent details
information of LILO configuration.

I select your  Choice-1 and I sucessfully  configure LILO.
but sir now I face again same problem of my friend's machine.
My friend have  Slackware 3.5  kernel version - 2.0.34 and few days ago
installed Linux-mandrake 6.1
kernel version -2.2.13-7mdk. after installed LinuxMandrake, Slackware
read Mandrake kernel.
I solve my problem (Debian and Slackware ) according to your solution.
but I'm not suceesed here.
I do following way :-

1. put slackware LILO  in  root (hda2) partition.
2. Install Linux-Mandrake (hda4) and put LILO  in MBR.
     [ note: hda3 is linux swap]
In  Mandrake (root) I type following :

mkdir  /mnt/l
mount /dev/hda2  /mnt/l
vi  /etc/lilo.conf
(edit )
# Slackware
image = /mnt/l/vmlinuz
     root= /dev/hda2
     label = slack
    read-only
(save and  quit)
and test lilo :-
# lilo -v -t
now lilo give me following message :-

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
merging with /boot/boot.b
boot other: /dev/hda1, on /dev/hda, loader /boot/chain.b
added dos*
boot image: /mnt/l/vmlinuz
kernel /mnt/l/vmlinuz is too big
please help me what I will do ?
why lilo said " /mnt/l/vmlinuz is too big " ?