Re: Virtual screen switcher

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 11:28:01PM +0200, Egbert Bouwman (egbert@bork.demon.nl) wrote:
> Hello,
> There seems to exist a program 'screen' with which you can
> go to another virtual screen. Makes <Alt-Fn> obsolete, more or less.
> I can not locate it. Is it in potato ? Somewhere else ?
> egbert

"screen" is a virtual terminal facility that does for a console session
what VNC does for an X session.  In a manner of speaking.

I believe the utility you're thinking of is chvt.

The distinction is that <alt><F#> works from the console when you're not
logged in.  chvt requires an open session to work, and it's quite
possible you could get yourself somewhere (a virtual console without a
shell, say), from which you couldn't return if you didn't have the
keystroke alternative.