Re: ethereal and display

as the user that is running X try:

xhost +localhost

then run your program as root. should work, shouldnt have to export the
display either, although its good practice i guess.

nate

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Debian Ghost wrote:

debian >Hey Guys,
debian >I would like to be able to use ethereal without having
debian >to start X from root. I've never really understood what
debian >tells the xserver who can display, but if anyone could tell
debian >me what I am doing wrong, much appriciated!
debian >
debian >root@ghost:/etc> export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
debian >root@ghost:/etc> ethereal
debian >Xlib: connection to "localhost:0.0" refused by server
debian >Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
debian >
debian >Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:0.0
debian >
debian >Thank you kindly!
debian >
debian >D. Ghost
debian >
debian >
debian >
debian >--
debian >Unsubscribe?  mail -s unsubscribe debian-user-request@lists.debian.org < /dev/null
debian >

:::
http://www.aphroland.org/
http://www.linuxpowered.net/
aphro@aphroland.org
11:46am up 20 days, 19:41, 1 user, load average: 0.04, 0.01, 0.00