Re: ethereal and display

> Hey Guys,
> I would like to be able to use ethereal without having
> to start X from root. I've never really understood what
> tells the xserver who can display, but if anyone could tell
> me what I am doing wrong, much appriciated!
>
> root@ghost:/etc> export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
> root@ghost:/etc> ethereal

You need to set XAUTHORITY to ~yourhome/.Xauthority also..

Read the Remote-X-Apps mini-howto. It covers this issue in section 7
(7.2 has a nice little script to handle what your looking for..).
It also covers how the xserver handles who has access to the display
(and why "xhost +" isn't a good idea..).