2.2.4pre9 and modules

Aloha All;

To get support for my new ata100 drive , last night I installed the 2.2.4pre9
kernel ( using kernel-package ) . It all went fine (the drive worked) ... but
then I noticed non of the modules Id selected seemed to be loading on boot.

I checked /lib/modules/2.2.4pre9 and non of the modules Id selected during the
kernel config were there. I tried again and again but alas no modules seemed
to be getting compiled. I checked the docs for kernel-package and it said
something about modules not being compiled when the kernel version has an
epoch ?????

Am I doing something completely stupid here ?

mallum