setuid question

Can somebody explain to me what setuid does?

I have installed Debian 2.2 and copied my old home(~) directory on to the
new installation.  The difference between the old home and the new one
is

old: drwxr-xr-x
new: drwxr-sr-x

Now I can not as user run binaries situated in my own bin directory.

I thought a setup like that would allow only me or users of my group
to run binaries in my home directory.

Johann
--
J.H. Spies - Tel/Faks +27-21-876-2337 Sel/Cell +27-82 898 1528
     "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of