modem performance w/pon vs. wvdial

I have been experiencing slow and erratic connections using pon and a
Best Data external modem.  When I tried the modem with Wvdial and manually
patched wvdial.conf so that I would have the default initialization
string, it seems to be more responsive.

Do I need to change the modem initialization string (inside the modem), if
so, how do I accomplish that?  I would rather use pon as it seems to be
somewhat easier to use for normal users.

The modem takes a second or two to initialise using pon, but initialises
instantly when using wvdial.  Any help would be appreciated!
John Kerr Anderson