Re: nvi/ex keeps mailing me....

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:02:31AM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 12:32:44PM +0200, Engelen (engelen@hotpop.com) wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> > 2) Anyway, my biggest problem is that every once in a while I get lots
> > of email messages telling me that on (date,time) root was editing the
> > Config file, Nvi saved it and I can recover it with 'ex -r'. Why?
>
> You were editing a file.  You exited, killed the editor, it crashed, or
> your system crashed, without properly closing the editing session.  Your
> changes still exist and may be recovered.
>
> 'vi -r' should recover the file and give you the option to restore or
> cancel restoration of your lost changes.
>
> This is a feature, not a bug.

i've run into this too, and i found out about the -r option.

but even with -r, the 'recoverable' sessions all show up in different
vi buffers... if you don't want to save what's in all those buffers,
how do you make them go away? even with ^Wc to close, vi says
"check other buffers" even if i've already ^Wc closed them...

they keep coming back...! aaugh!

--
things are more like they used to be than they are now.

will@serensoft.com *** http://www.dontUthink.com/