nvi/ex keeps mailing me....

Hi,

I have a pcmcia network card for which I have found a working kernel module,
but I cannot connect to the wireless internet here unless I change some
settings in the /proc/aironet/eth0 directory and run ifup. I have put together
a small script (my first one like this) to do this automatically, but it
doesn't really work perfectly. This is the script:

#!/bin/sh
ex -s /proc/aironet/eth0/Config >/dev/null <<EOF
%s/open/shared
:wq!
EOF
echo paswoord > /proc/aironet/eth0/SSID
ifup eth0

Even though it is -rwsr-sr-x root root, it doesn't work unless executed with
'sudo' (??).
1) is there any script that is ran whenever it detects me putting the card in?
When I put it in, /var/log/syslog sais:
Oct  4 21:59:23 sirach kernel: airo:  Probing for PCI adapters
Oct  4 21:59:23 sirach kernel: airo:  Finished probing for PCI adapters
Oct  4 21:59:23 sirach kernel: airo: MAC enabled eth0 0:40:96:38:da:4a
Oct  4 21:59:23 sirach kernel: eth0: index 0x05: Vcc 5.0, Vpp 5.0, irq 3, io
0x0100-0x013f

2) Anyway, my biggest problem is that every once in a while I get lots of email
messages telling me that on (date,time) root was editing the Config file, Nvi
saved it and I can recover it with 'ex -r'. Why?

--
Arnout Engelen <arnout@engelenict.com>

Debian GNU/Linux - when code matters, not commercials