gpm no longer function after upgrading

Dear all,

After a recent upgrading, gpm (1.19.3-4) no longer
functioned. I lost the mouse pointer in mc. It seems that /dev/gpmctl is lost
although the gpm server did start at boot. I was told that it may be a pipe but
"mknod /dev/gpmctl -p" did not work. Reinstalling gpm and libgmp1 also didn't
work. I can use the mouse in X, though (with /dev/psaux as device and and ps2 as
protocol). I'm using woody with kernel 2.2.17 if that matters.

Would be grateful to any pointers to the solution of this problem .

Regards,
ST