mixer initialize problem

hi,

my soundcard(cs4236b) works.  -- with kernel level support

  Sound initialization started
  <Crystal audio controller (CS4236)> at 0x530 irq 5 dma 1,0
  <MPU-401 (UART) MIDI> at 0x330 irq 11
  Sound initialization complete

However, something is not perfect right,  cuz I got "mixer initialize
failed" like message when booting up.  and I am suggested to use gom
--initialize.  got this:

  [20:15:45 ~]$ gom --initialize
  gom: Loading option file from "/etc/gom/conf.initialize"...
  gom ERROR: Can't make channel 1=(bass) current: unavailable.
  gom ERROR: Can't make channel 2=(treble) current: unavailable.
  gom: Option file load from "/etc/gom/conf.initialize" completed.

What's annoying:
  the pcm (I use esd) is topped up in volume when boot up.  so if I
  forgot to turn it down, I would get my neighbor's attention.  (and it
  does not remember the setting in next booting)

any idea?  Is there any command I can use to adjust it or just mute it?

thanks,

jack