Re: Article: Debian's Daunting Installation

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Randy Edwards wrote:

>    Has anyone seen Joe Barr's article in LinuxWorld at
> <http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-09/lw-09-vcontrol_2.html>?

Regrettably.

>    Anyone else have any thoughts on this article?

More than a couple:
	1) 2.2's a huuuge improvement over earlier incarnations of Deb.,
certainly in terms of installation over the 'net. Great and detailed
instructions on the process. Didn't even have too much difficulty with the
g-d bootdisks that everyone seems to have been bitching about.

	2) Lots of the probs w/ 2.2 revolve around X, mouse, etc. X
configuration is usually a troublespot w/out something snazzy like Lizard,
YaST/Sax, whathaveyou. X is absolutely inconsistent in terms of
performance, and the "DM's" (desktop managers that act like dungeon
masters) are a disgrace. Neither of these is Debian's fault per se,
but each package's project team. Nor is either essential to secure and
stable running of Debian.

	3) If the reviewer had been a newbie, the complaints might have
been forgivable. Deb is not (yet) for newbies. It's getting there,
though.

All this will appear in the December issue of Linux Journal, barring
disaster. 8) I switched *to* Debian because it was easy to install online.

 SAT practice quiz:  Microsoft is to software as ...
 Answer:  McDonalds is to gourmet cooking.

Nice .sig file! 8)

Alpha