Re: Help with mouse - newbie

Casey Henderson wrote:

> Hello,
>   I'm a new Debian user.  I have used Redhat for quite a long time and
> I just switched over to Debian.  I'm excited about learning all its
> features (particularly the cool package management program).  A friend
> helped me install Debian 2.2 (potato) and we got everything up and
> running fine. I have lots of questions, but my main problem is that my
> mouse will not work in X windows or in a console. It worked when we
> installed X, but when I rebooted, it won't work anymore. Can somebody
> help me get it working?

can you include the "Pointer" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config

> I have a Microsoft Intellimouse on a PS/2
> port.  I also need to know how to install packages from off the CD
> ROMs, because vi is not installed and I have no way of editing
> configuration files.  Thank you.

if you installed from cd, you can use apt:

apt-cache search <string>

to search for a program/packagename

apt-get install <packagename>

to install it. as for vi itshould be there, if its not something is
wrong, i think its part of the base as there is no package for
/usr/bin/vi. did you have any trouble installing the base packages ?

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336