ess1868

I have a PIII 500mhz. with a voodoo3, 128 meg of ram, and an ess1868
soundcard.
I've got everything working fine except the soundcard.  So first, is that
sound card linux compatible?  when I tried to load a sound module during the
installation, I couldn't find a module for the 1868, so I installed the
sound blaster/awe32 module.  the module installed, but no sound.  How do I
get it working.  Is there a different module that I should have chosen?

Wayne