Re: partitions and lilo

    Hello,

list instead.

Below are links to great reading and WHY I wasn't able to do what
I originally tried. I did install 5 OS's tho, and left room for 2 more.

I did run into the 1024 cylinder problem - anoying to say the least. So
during instals, I used fdisk (from red hat 6.2) and made the following:

hda1 - fat32 (fdisk type c) win98se installed             1500mb
hda5 - "the EXTENDED partition" = boot for hda12    40mb
hda6 - boot for hda13                                                    40mb
hda7 - boot for hda14                                                    40mb
hda8 - boot for hda15                                                    40mb
hda9 - boot for hda16                                                    40mb
hda10 - boot for hda17                                                  40mb
hda11 - swap file for all my linux installs                      64mb
hda12 - root for first linux ext2                                  2048mb
hda13 - root for second linux ext2                            2048mb
hda14 - root for third linux ext2                                 2048mb
hda15 - root for forth linux ext2                                 2048mb

On my forth and last linux install, I asked for lilo to be installed onto the
mbr. This was fully sucessful, and all I had to do was edit that lilo.conf and
add the other 3 linux images. All boot wonderfully, as well as win98se. So I
have my five OS's all booting via the mbr and all boot sectors are before
1024 on this 20GB hard drive. I still have room for 2 more OS's (hda9 & hda10).

I'm not sure if I could of done this more effectively. Perhaps used a common
BOOT partition for all my distro's. But this does work and will allow for
tweaking each as class progresses. Now if only X was as easy to configure!

IHTH

Thanks to all for the help, best regards