Re: Qs from a newbie (help ASAP?) (long)

Erin Lewy wrote:

> Hi.  Well here I am finally subscribed.  Actually I've been reading selected
> bits of the list for a while (ooh I wanted to join in on the why Debian vs Redhat
> thread...) because my BF is subscribed to this list and has been for a while
> (Hi, Tom!)

Heh, why isn't he helping? ;)

> The very short version of why I'm here is that I'm a hopeless apt-get addict
> and could never go back to the hell that is RPM-searching (and not finding...)
> ever again once I saw this thing.
>
> I'm a relative linux newbie going to an artsy fartsy college where I am rapidly
> realizing I am the most linux-savvy person on campus unless I am severely miscalculating
> (my immediate boss in the computer lab sometimes doesn't seem WINDOWS-competant
> but that's another story altogether).
>
> Anyway, my Linux savvy (yeah right) has landed me as co-admin of a student-run
> webserver. I'm the linux geek, she's the HTML guru.  Well, me being the newbie
> that I am, I did mess some stuff up and I NEED YOU GUYS' HELP! No laughing.
> :)
>
> Okay. Here's the deal. The poor machine was an ANCIENT P75 running (I didn't

Ancient, huh?  How bout a 486 DX2 66, or a 486 DX4 100?  That's what I have at
home as my firewall. :)

> do it!) RedHat  5.1.  They wanted a hardware upgrade, I wanted a system upgrade.
>  When the hard drive failed, they REALLY wanted a hardware upgrade, and I REALLY
> wanted to never see RedHat again.  So here we are. The new machine is a Xenon
> somewhere in the neighborhood of 350MHZ (it doesn't matter with Linux so I've
> forgotten already...) and 64 RAM. We're thinking of upping the RAM but not sure
> we need to right now.We got this machine free from the nice lab boy so we're

Check your load average every once in a while, and mem usage.  Then you'll
know.  Try the top and w command.

> not complaining as yet.  We popped in the RAM from the old machine as well as
> a huge hard drive and I did the install okay. Only one small problem:
>
> The domain is registered with internic and we have a static IP. Only, I, being
> the doofus that I often am, said yes when Debian's nice little install asked
> me if I wanted to use DHCP/BOOTP.  Why not?  It works. I wanted to FTP the backups
> off my home machine anyway and just wanted to get us up and running ASAP.  We
> got Apache up and running and everything (Unfortunately I can't get into the
> box right now to let you know what version it is...but I would assume it is
> the most recent in the "Potato" directories...I just want to get everything
> running before I mess with Woody because I'm paranoid as all hell.)

I wouldn't run anything but stable on my servers, but that's just me.

> Well of course now we can't get it to take the old static IP due to using DHCP
> so for all intents and purposes even though the machine is running we won't
> be accessable save by IP address. And that IP address is dynamic. So it's not
> happy. Not at all. Yes, I know, but earlier in the mail you promised not to
> laugh at me, so don't start now. ;)

OK, NP.

> So at some point after realizing our dilemma we found this web site which I've
> been trying to search for for the past half hour and can't find it. In any case
> it told us to edit a file which was to have our current IP address on the second
> line and we could just change it and be done with it (I know I am being excessively
> vague here but at this point I was otherwise occupied and a fellow geek was
> handling this aspect of it). Well this file had everything on one line and changing
> the IP (along with restarting inetd) did nothing.... We are quite at a loss.
>
> So my question is, how do I set the static IP in such a way that it will actually
> work? Permanently? ;)  A swift response would really be appreciated as I have
> to go deal with more networking and web server people relatively early in the
> afternoon. I'm sorry I rambled so much
>
> --

The immediate solution?  Use the ifconfig command to set a static ip, remove the
dhcp client with apt-get.

Here's how to use ifconfig (more in the man page) I'm assuming that eth0 is your
ethernet card for your static address:

killall -9 dhcpcd

this will stop the dhcp client process, unless you're not using dhcpcd.

ifconfig eth0 <static goes here>

edit /etc/init.d/network and place your static ip address in there.

All of my machines are upgrades from slink and have customizations, so I cant'
give you exact instructions on the changes needed.

Is this soon enough for the afternoon? ;)

--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety