Re: Qs from a newbie (help ASAP?) (long)

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 04:14:01PM +0000, Erin Lewy wrote:
<snip>

> So my question is, how do I set the static IP in such a way that it will actually
> work? Permanently? ;)  A swift response would really be appreciated as I have
> to go deal with more networking and web server people relatively early in the
> afternoon. I'm sorry I rambled so much

Oh, that's ok. I always thought I was a bit on the rambling side :)

You want to edit /etc/network/interfaces, read 'man interfaces'. A snippet
from mine:

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.254
	netmask 255.255.255.0

Do 'ifdown eth0'. Adjust the ip and netmask, do 'ifup eth0'. Edit /etc/hostname
to contain the unqualified (???) hostname.

That's basically what's needed, you'll have to set the domain somewhere...

Christian