Re: Software-RAID and partitioning

Christian Pernegger wrote:

> I have 3 18GB SCSI disks I want to use in a "new-style" Soft-RAID-5
> configuration. At the moment I have
>
> 1. partition    sd.4    swap
> 2. partition    sd.3    ext2            (for squid)
> 3. partition    sd.1    raid-auto
>
> This of course means I have to have the whole md device under one
> mountpoint (the directories under which are the targets of symlinks under / .)
>
> I'd rather be able to have a real seperate partition on the array for at least
> /home.
>
> Is it feasible to split the raid partitions (sd.1) on the disks and create an
> md0 and an md1, or does this hamper performance?
>
> Thanks
>
> Christian
>
> --

I'm looking into making a raid setup also, and I'm not familiar with the
"new-style" you're talking about.

You would have to resize all of the partitions on each drive.

I'm not too familiar with Raid5.  Does the parity partition have to be the same
size as the data partitions?
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety