Console didn't wake up from blank

Hello,

when I came home this afternoon I was rather looking forward to reading
my e-mail - only to find out that my two ttys wouldn't wake up and rather
stay blanked.

Unfortunately I did not try to shut the machine down via ctrl-alt-del
but panicked and brought it down via sysreq. I couldn't find anything
unusual in any of the logs.

I realize I don't have much to go on - I just hope this is some known
phenomenon, otherwise it'll stay a mystery.

Thanks,

Christian

PS: This is Debian 2.2, Linux 2.2.17 w/o APM.