RE: Dual NIC Problem

-----Original Message-----
From: chaotic42@pretzelnet.org [mailto:chaotic42@pretzelnet.org]On
Behalf Of Christen Welch
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2000 1:52 AM
To: 'debian-user@lists.debian.org'
Subject: Re: Dual NIC Problem

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 09:05:30AM -0400,
Kimsey-Hickman, Brian <Brian.Kimsey-Hickman@comptroller.co.orange.fl.us>
wrote:

>> Well it sure didn't take to long to reach the limit of my knowledge.

>Heh, this is my first real crack at helping anyone, so I know how you feel.
>I hope I can help you solve this. If not, feel free to call me at all hours
>of the night to chew me out :)

Heck, I'm just happy to have someone to bounce ideas off of.  You won't get
any crankiness from me.

>> I could not find anything that had the a telnet 127.0.0.1 110
>> line.  Sorry, I am a new user.

>Sorry, I meant just run that at the prompt. That should take you into
>your own mail server, should you have one running. The point of this being,
>if you have telnetd running, and can't telnet in to the default port, maybe
>you could telnet into another port.

Okay, I tried that and got an error "Unable to connect to remote host:
Connection Refused"
When I built this machine I did not use any of the simple installation
setups like for a Server, Workstation or Scientific Workstation.  I selected
advanced and all I selected was telnet, ifconfig and tcpdump.  So, unless
mail services are selected and installed by default this machines probably
would not have them.  Basically, all I want this machine to do is to monitor
a network segment while I telnet into from another segment to take a look.
I could go ahead and install mail services for diagnostic purposes I don't
have a problem with that.

>> now.  Both are purely experimental at this point.  I did check the hosts
>> file at it does have the machine name and IP number.  When I said I could
>> ping I meant I can the IP address not the device name.

> Here's where my understanding of the whole network stuff fades away :)
> Are you trying to ping /dev/eth0?

> Can you give me the output of netstat -rn on all of the systems?

The dual NIC machine

Destination		Gateway	Genmask	    Flags  Mss  Window	     irtt
Iface
172.30.4.0		0.0.0.0	255.255.254.0	U	0	0
0	eth0
172.30.6.0		0.0.0.0	255.255.254.0	U	0	0
0	eth1
0.0.0.0		172.30.6.2	0.0.0.0		UG	0	0
0	eth1
0.0.0.0		172.30.4.2	0.0.0.0		UG	0	0
0	etho

The machine I am trying to telnet from

--
Chaotic42 <chaotic42@pobox.com>
http://www.pobox.com/~chaotic42/

Think for yourself and let others enjoy the privilege of doing so too -
Voltaire