Re: Was my system cracked? (retry 2)

> So, do you think my machine has been cracked? It looks as though they've
> been trying to cover their tracks, but not doing it very well. If it is a
> crack, what can I do about it apart from wiping the machine and rebuilding
> from the ground up?

wiping and rebuilding is the safest thing to do. You can not, at this
point, be sure of anything on your system. Any binary could have been
replaced. Simply doing an ls might now launch a service to allow the
attacker a back door onto your system.

I would suggest rebuilding the base OS and modify your
/etc/apt/sources.list file to also point to security.debian.org and
running update rather often so that you can pick up security changes as
they are released.