Re: Canon BJC-1000 problem

"John" == John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> writes:

> Willy Lee writes:
>> I installed magicfilter, set up the BJC-600 driver, scratched my
>> head for awhile, then installed a2ps and enscript, but now when I
>> send off my newly PostScriptized files to be printed, I get
>> ... silence.

> I had to edit /etc/magicfilter/bj600-filter and add this as the last
> line:

> default fpipe /usr/bin/a2ps --silent --user-option=lp -o -

> John Hasler john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler) Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI

There was already a line there appearing to do the same thing, but
using enscript instead of a2ps.

Now the problem is worse: after fiddling with it a bit and restarting
lpd several times, I get this error:

geldar:~# a2ps dbootstrap_settings
[dbootstrap_settings (plain): 1 page on 1 sheet]
lpr: connect: Connection refused
jobs queued, but cannot start daemon.
[Total: 1 page on 1 sheet] sent to the default printer
geldar:~# lpq
waiting for lp to become ready (offline ?)
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       11   (standard input)                      14164 bytes

I wonder if apsfilter, lprng, or CUPS would be better
choices... anyone have any experience with them?  The guy who wrote
the Printing HOWTO seems to think they are better...

=wl

--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of