Eterm, /dev/null, and segfaults

Howdy all,

I just installed Slink onto an HP pentium 166 from CD. I'm using
Windowmaker... When I tried to use Eterm as root, it worked... when I
tried to use it as a normal user, it said something about /dev/null and
segfaulted...

/dev/null is set up like so... crw-rw-rw-

xterm, however, worked for both root and normal users.

I then used apt to upgrade to Potato over ethernet.... Eterm still works
for root, but now when I try to run Eterm OR xterm as normal user,
absolutely nothing happens. No window, no disk-noises, nothing. However,
if I switch to twm, I can get a cheesy-looking xterm. Strange?

One last clue.... when I log out of Windowmaker, before switching to
back
to wdm, a screen of strange SVGA-looking chaotic graphics briefly
flashes - it does NOT do this for root.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance,

Rich