Re: Good Book for setting up T-1?

> All my information dates from approximately 1997.  At the time there were
> many T1 cards with integrated CSU/DSU's in development, but I didn't
> consider any of them quite ready for prime time yet.  You might be able to
> save more money by finding one of them.

Sangoma makes a capable T1 card with integrated CSU/DSU, I have used it in
production. Debian contains the wanrouter package which contains the stuff
to make it work and the Sangoma drivers are included in the Linux kernel,
you just need to turn them on. The problem with that is when you use a
Linux box for your WAN router, the network is only as reliable as the
machine. If you should have to reboot it, the entire network is toast. I
have found that you either get a router when you need a router, or set up
a Linux box to do NOTHING but be a router, remove all hard disks and run
out of an initrd image booted from cdrom. Don't forget to log to a remote
system or your RAMDISK will fill up with log messages.

The benefit of a router is that you have no disks, they tend to run for
years and years.

You might also try a firewall from someplace like Protectix  ... they run
Linux and boot from flash so there is no disk drive. I don't think they
include a T1 option, though.