Re: Problem with Lucent winmodem on debian 2.2

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to configure Lucent Winmodem on my HP Pavillion (6735) box
> with Debian 2.2.  I have followed the instructions from
> www.linmodems.org for installing the binary only driver provided by
> Lucent, but still have problems in loading the driver.
>
> The following bits should tell the story.. Can someone help me out? The
> modem is working fine with Windows ME.
>
> I am not able to understand what exactly the problem is.

> 1. Why kernel module is not getting loaded. (Lucent's driver is
> supposed to support shared IRQ - Shouldn't it probe for the IRQ?
> Windows ME uses IRQ 3)

Detecting the IRQ isn't the problem.  The driver is built for RedHat 6.1
(who has a long history of heavily patching their kernels), and what
you're using is a *hell* a lot more recent.

I was going to suggest "insmod -f", but I see you alreay tried that :)
Since that didn't work, I have to say that you're really out of luck.  I
hope you didn't pay much for the modem...

As to why it doesn't work: A good analogy is you're trying to load a
driver for Win95 into WinME - the kernels are waaaay to different for the
driver to load.

In Linux, the driver is very sensitive to the kernel it's being loaded in
to.  If someone uses a different compiler from you, or, more importantly,
has a different set of patches from you when they built the driver,
there's a very good chance that the driver won't load.

> 2. Why setserial complains about "No such device"

The driver wasn't loaded.

> >From insmod -f ltmodem
> ----------------------
> Using /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/ltmodem.o
> Warning: kernel-module version mismatch
>  /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/ltmodem.o was compiled for kernel version
> 2.2.12-20
>  while this kernel is version 2.2.17
>
> /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/ltmodem.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
> invalid IO or IRQ parameters

[...]

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc