Re: Local installation of Helix

Scott Patterson <Scott_Patterson@AndersonsInc.Com> writes:
  SP> Then, put the helixcode source in your /etc/apt/sources.list
  SP> file. Run a "apt-get update", "apt-get install task-helix-gnome"
  SP> and that should install everything...I hope. YMMV:)
  SP>
 DZM> Well, you still need a valid Packages file.  And I doubt you
 DZM> actually want to maintain a mirror of the Helix site on your
 DZM> local machine, which is basically what this procedure would wind
 DZM> up doing.
SP>
SP> Why would this be a mirror of the Helix code site.
SP>
SP> Upon "apt-get update" you download the latest Packages.gz file
SP> (shouldn't take too long).  Then, upon "apt-get install/upgrade
SP> task-helix-gnome" is does the update.

I'm basically saying that you don't *need* the Packages.gz file from
Helix, especially if you know you have all of the .deb files you
need.  So you can skip the intermediate stage of downloading and/or
regenerating the Packages file here.  (All of the information in the
Packages file is also in the individual packages; dpkg-scanpackages
will create the Packages file from the packages.)

If you insist on using a Packages file, you'll either need to create
it by hand or duplicate the exact directory structure listed in that
file -- which basically means mirroring Helix.  In any case, running
'dpkg -i *.deb' will get the packages installed without going through
APT.

(To be fair, though, if you're a regular dselect user, creating a
Packages file does get you the advantage of having the files be listed
as something other than "Obsolete/Local".  The same is probably true
of the other dpkg/APT frontends.)

SP> Now, things should happen in this order, I believe. First it
SP> checks to see if you have latest version already installed. If
SP> that is the case, you're done. Then, it checks for already
SP> downloaded versions (zip disk), that are not installed.  This is
SP> where you put any updates you need! If it's in the cache, it won't
SP> download it. Finally, apt-get will download any file not
SP> installed, or not found in the cache. If this is wrong, please
SP> explain why.

All this is correct.  After this, APT will run 'dpkg -i' on the files
in /var/cache/apt/archives; nothing stops you from doing it yourself
(and skipping over APT).

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell