Re: Local installation of Helix

Scott Patterson <Scott_Patterson@AndersonsInc.Com> writes:
>> I recently installed Potato and I'm having difficulty installing HelixGnome.
>> Rather than perform an installation over the modem at home, I downloaded all
>> of the .deb files using the leased line at work, took them home via Zip disk
>> and tried to perform an installation from the local hard disk.
(Details of APT muckage skipped)
>> Any help appreciated,
>>
>> Jamie MacIsaac.
SP>
SP> Whenever you donwload an update, it stores that file on disk. Now
SP> I'm guessing that apt-get looks at the cache (stored disk file)
SP> first, to see if you already have it. It must, because it can
SP> continue interrupted downloads. So, simply put all the helixcode
SP> files from your zip disk into the cache directory on your
SP> workstations hard drive. Then, put the helixcode source in your
SP> /etc/apt/sources.list file. Run a "apt-get update", "apt-get
SP> install task-helix-gnome" and that should install everything...I
SP> hope. YMMV:)

>Well, you still need a valid Packages file.  And I doubt you actually
>want to maintain a mirror of the Helix site on your local machine,
>which is basically what this procedure would wind up doing.

Why would this be a mirror of the Helix code site.

Upon "apt-get update" you download the latest Packages.gz file (shouldn't take
too long).

Then, upon "apt-get install/upgrade task-helix-gnome" is does the update. Now,
things should happen in this order, I believe. First it checks to see if you
have latest version already installed. If that is the case, you're done. Then,
it checks for already downloaded versions (zip disk), that are not installed.
This is where you put any updates you need! If it's in the cache, it won't
download it. Finally, apt-get will download any file not installed, or not found
in the cache. If this is wrong, please explain why.

Scott