Re: read only root partition

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 02:16:58PM +0200, Raphael Bauduin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> yes, I know that root can remount the partition in read/write. However, with
> LIDS, it's possible to limit access to commands, even for root.  So the root
> partition would be read-only and would stay like that. Access to Lilo would
> also be limited.

chattr -R +i /bin /sbin /lib /boot

then revoking the cap to remove immutable would also work.

> /var could be noexec so any filed copied to it wouldn't be executable.

yes they would, see my previous post demonstrating how you can execute
anything by running /lib/ld-2.1.3.so /path/to/noexec/binary.

> Another reason for the read-only is the fact that when the computer is not
> properly rebooted, the partitions don't have to go through e2fsck.

true but if your / is small this is not a big deal.  if your concerned
about filesystem damage mount it -o sync or use a journalling
filesystem.

i think a burned CDROM with a ramdisk root would be a much simpler way
to accomplish a readonly root.  trying to keep / mounted read only is
going to require ALOT of hacking.  (and likely modification of source)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/