read only root partition

Hi!

I want to install debian on a computer, where only the /var partition would
be writeable. Has anyone of you done it? Any advice?

The possible problems:

Some programs want to have write access to /etc to work properly. Putting a
link to /var/etc/file from /etc/file should work.

/dev needs write access (how do I do that exactly? mount /dev from another
partition?)

A concrete example: /etc/nologin is written during boot time and erased after
that. If I put a link to /var/etC/nologin from /etc/nologin, it won't work as
/etc/nologin wont be erasable :-( And I didn't find a way to specify another
file to login/nologin....

Thanks for you help!

Raph
             |  /\\     Linux for ever     //\  |

   If windows is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.