Re: OT: IRC & the ~

-> Is the ~ in front of your name in IRC due to the lack of auth installed? I
-> cannot find identd anywhere with dpkg.  I've tried dpkg -l|grep iden.  When
-> I had deb installed on another system I somehow picked up identd and I was
-> not listed as ~ in name so that got me thinking.  Anyway, what is the std
-> debian auth package? <-- assuming this is the issue?

prefix ~ means that your IDENT server returned invalid reply, didn't reply
or is not installed.

it's possible that you have pidentd configured not to close ocnnection after
returning a reply (multiquery mode) - ircnet ircd's don't accept the reply
in such case. I'm justgoing to ask for a fix...

solution - install identd (pidentd for example). it's not as bad as some ppl
say :)

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NEXTRA, Slovakia; IRCNET admin of *.sk
 uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ ; http://www.nextra.sk/