Re: apt-get upgrade broke apache

    >> Is this just par for the course when running woody stuff?  Occasionally stuff
    >> breaks for a while?  I do not know what mod_rewrite.so does, but I commented it
    >> out and the server came up.  Any ideas on what to do to find out what broke
    >> and how to fix it?

    George> Yeah, I never take a libc upgrade on its first day
    George> out. Just about EVERYTHING depends on it and sometimes
    George> other packages must be rebuilt with the new libc to
    George> function properly and it takes a few days for these
    George> packages to "catch up".

I do take libc upgrades on day... but only for VERSION-DEBVERSION to
VERSION-(DEBVERSION+1).

Oh, and yes, it is par for the course... it's really called "unstable"
for a reason (as in: it's not guaranteed (for some loose definition of
guaranteed) to be stable)

    George> Since unstable is not designed to be a production release,
    George> there is no (nor should there be any) requirement to
    George> submit packages to the archive in any particular order.

I consider it pretty stupid to install packages in the archive that
are not installable (because the depend on something that is either
stuck in incoming or not even uploaded yet).

But then again, I don't know how hard adding this to dinstall would
be...

    George> The short answer is that this is what you have to live with when using the
    George> latest development snapshots (to borrow a BSD term). It you are going to
    George> live in unstable, it is to your advantage to read debian-devel.

Agree totally... I read some mail on -devel that a new libc is coming
(don't remember who...), and was thus on the look-out.

Glad I did... as soon as I saw a new libc to install, I didn't (didn't
put it on hold, as I do most upgrades manually via apt-get install
PACKAGE anyway)

Bye, J

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326