Re: Which files in /var to back up?

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 11:05:34AM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> With the advent of apt-get and cable modems, it appears I no longer
> have to back  up every file on my machine.  In particular, things like
> debian packages can be easily retrieved after a crash, provided
> that the appropriate status files exist. Presumably these are files in
> /var  like /var/lib/dpkg/status or  maybe /var/cache/apt/*  ... anyone
> know exactly which  files I should be backing up? I  could back up all
> of /var but that seems a bit excessive, no? -chris

backup all of /var/lib/dpkg, if this data is damaged or destroyed you
have to completely reinstall to make the package system functional
again.

also /var/mail (/var/spool/mail on older systems)

/var/lib/debconf

there are probably a few other places..  /var/ is usually pretty small
anyway save for /var/cache/apt/ (which you could ignore out of a full
backup of /var)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/