Re: How to see module errors on bootup?

Quoting Kent West (westk@nicanor.acu.edu):
> Moritz Schulte wrote:
> >
> > Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes:
> >
> > > I know "dmesg" will show the boot-up messages generated (by the
> > > kernel?); however, this apparently doesn't show the errors generated by
> > > modules being loaded. These messages go by too fast to catch, and then I
> > > haven't been able to find a way to read them again.
> >
> > ehm, you can scroll on the linux console with shift+page_down/page_up.
>
> Normally; except that after the login prompt appears, shift-pageUp only
> works for about half a screen instead of the several screens it seems to
> recall at other times.

Have you got something clearing the screen, e.g. does SVGA do this?
(I know xdm does.) There's nothing special about the login prompt.
I can see back to the BIOS screen of some of my machines:

BIOS Version 1.00.05.CV2

0032768 KB

Please Wait...

Keyboard.....Detected
Mouse........Detected

Hard Disk  0 Installed Maxtor 51024U2

Floppy A: Installed

... pasted with gpm.

> The errors don't show up in /var/log/syslog, or anywhere else I've
> looked.

As well as dmesg, have you checked /var/log/kern.log? I think you may
be asking a bit much for /var/log/syslog to contain these errors as
they occur before syslogd starts (entering runlevel 2). The kernel
messages get logged because the kernel maintains a ring buffer from
time zero.

Cheers,