Re: Debian newbie

>I am very new to Debian systems.  I've been running RH-based systems for a
>couple of years, so I'm not a linux newbie.  However, I have about a dozen
>questions which I'm _sure_ are faq's.
>
>Where does a guy like me go to get a good Debian-newbie faq?  I've checked
>http://www.debian.org/doc, but all of those are too general for the problems
>that I'm having (or they don't address the problems that I'm having).  Also,
>the link to the faq-o-matic seems to be down. :(
>
>Sorry for the trouble.
>
>TIA

Second, learn the Debian installer (apt-get, dpkg). I'm still learning but there
are some docs in /usr/doc that really help. Expect an hour or so of research to
learn the basics.

Third, run searches on this mailing list from the debian website. If you have a
particular question, go to http://lists.debian.org and go to the bottom where
you can enter search criteria. I put in the keyword(s), select the "user"
mailing list and mark it for the most recent time period (I don't want info from
a previous release). This has helped me numerous times as of lately. As a bonus,
the regulars to the list will be happy to answer "new" questions instead of that
same question that is answered every week.

Fourth, post questions to this list. The people here are for the most part
friendly and very knowledgable. Don't be surprised though if they tell you to
look at a man page or other docs. If you still have questions after reading the
docs, post the question again, but let them know you read the docs and still
need help.

Happy Debianing:)

Scott