Re: Getting CPU load (from /proc/?)

William T Wilson <fluffy@snurgle.org> writes:

> It's a good guess.  In technical terms the load average is simply the
> average number of processes in the runnable state over a period of time.
> You could take an instantaneous measurement of the number of processes in
> the runnable state, but it wouldn't be a meaningful number.  (In fact,
> this information is already produced by ps - running processes are marked
> with 'R').  It's entirely possible that a lightly loaded system could have
> many running processes at any particular moment, or that a heavily loaded
> system could have few.

Come to think of it, I too  would like to have a more fine-grained cpu
load measurement.  I  want my machine to suspend after  a period of no
mouse/keyboard activity and  minimal cpu load.  Right now  I check the
latter by looking at /proc/loadavg, except these numbers quickly reach
zero, even when I have a  streaming mp3 playing in the background. The
idea is, I don't want the machine to suspend if it's playing an mp3. I
only want it  to suspend if it is doing practically nothing.

-chris