Re: debian-user-digest Digest V100 #99

will trillich wrote:

> i'm going NUTS here... help! pointers would be handy, but i've
> found many documents hither and yon on the 'net and NONE have been
> turnkey... there's always some obscure obstacle or error message
> that i have no clue as to the meaning behind it.

Run ppp over SSH (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/VPN.html)
Run FreeS/WAN (http://www.freeswan.org/)

I haven't used the ppp over ssh option but people I work with have had good
success with it.  No compiling of software just set it up and off you go.

I've only run FreeS/WAN under Redhat but it will work under Debian just as
well.  Compile a new kernel, configure and go.

As someone already suggested, SSH can forward ports for you ... that will
give you secure access to services ... you only need ppp over ssh if you
want full network access.

Fraser