Serial port input/output error...

Little problem which may be related to my Potato setup.  My two serial ports
don't work - setserial always returns "Input/output error," even when I try
just the -g parm, or with autoconfig. stty returns the same thing.  The
hardware is fine, since it works with SuSE 6.4 and various versions of
lesser OSs.  CMOS setup verifies that serial ports are setup correctly,
using conventional default settings.

/var/log/dmesg shows...
Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Serial ports are, I believe, "16550A equivalent," (ASUS P3B-F motherboard)
and the settings shown in dmesg are correct.  Serial driver is loaded, and
(default Debian install) kernel looks like it supports serial.  (I tried
removing CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y, for yucks, but no difference.)

I get exactly the same result when I disable the onboard serial ports
and try a four-port FlexPort, though the FlexPort also works under other
OSs.  Also the same when I boot harddisk from a different (identical)
machine.

I'm SURE that this is something real simple, but I've read the Serial HOWTO
from cover to cover, but got no clues.  Disregarding the serial problem,
BTW, I couldn't be happier with 2.2.  Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks...

-jeff