Network unreachable !

Hello, hope you are well!

I have a problem with a debian GNU / Linux 2.2 (potato). I tells me that
network is unreachable, whatever I do.
When I installed debian, I could not load the ne module (on io=0x280 irq=5).

I only have lo interface loaded, so I follow these steps:

    modprobe ne io=0x280 irq=5                 # load the network card
module

    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 up                   # load ethernet interface
with ip address (for home LAN!)

    I edit the /et/hosts.conf file and add local addresses, take a look a
route and it looks just like my other debian 2.2 "potato", that DOES work!

    I ping from one to another (and viceversa) and I get a reply both ways!

    But when I try to FTP or Telnet (from the non working PC) I get the
message:
        "network is unreachable"

    And if I FTP or Telnet (from the working machine to the bad one) I get
the message :
        "conection refused"

    What could be wrong ?
    Have I missed something out?

    Any sugestions will be very (very) appreciated!

    Thanks, Mark.

Mark Sanchez
a1013@dis.ulpgc.es, mr_jimmybob@yahoo.com.

Unable to mount root file system, Kernel Picnic, try again later (after
lunch maybe;)