Re: A series of newbieite questions

Matthew Dalton <matthewd@research.canon.com.au> writes:

> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> >
> > Matthew Dalton <matthewd@research.canon.com.au> writes:
> > >
> > > You can uninstall xdm (apt-get remove xdm).
> >
> > Or disable/remove the symlinks in /etc/rc[0-6].d/.  Then you can still
> > start manually with `/etc/init.d/xdm` should you be so inclined.
>
> I thought the Official Debian Way(tm) was to use 'update-rc.d' to do
> that for you, but I decided not to recommend that method because a) I've
> never used it myself, and b) a newbie might have trouble with it and
> just uninstalling xdm would be simpler.

Initially, I thought so too, but upon reading the manual page got the
impression that update-rc.d is intended for use in (pre|post)(inst|rm)
scripts.

       If  any  files  /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist
       then update-rc.d does nothing.  This is so that the system
       administrator  can rearrange the links, provided that they
       leave at least one link remaining,  without  having  their
       configuration overwritten.

Of course, I might be wrong.

Until I figure out what's the Right Way To Do This, I just disable the
relevant startup scripts and then `/etc/init.d/<script> stop`.  I pre-
fix the symlink with `disabled.' so that `ls` gives a clear hint, like
so:

  bilbo:~$ ls /etc/rc0.d
  K11cron     K20inetd    K20ssh         K90sysklogd      S35networking
  K12kerneld  K20logoutd  K25hwclock.sh  S20sendsigs      S40umountfs
  K20apache   K20makedev  K30setserial   S30urandom       S90halt
  K20exim     K20samba    K89atd         S31umountnfs.sh  disabled.S10portmap

while still allowing me to see which symlinks ought to be there as per
default as well as their sequence numbers.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development