Re: your mail AKA @home, NICs and windows

> Uh ok this is a braindead reply but did you try
> turning off
> the modem for a few minutes. I had a hard time
> getting my new
> machine to work with cable, it suddenly worked on the
> third network card (a 3c905b). -chris

Not as brain dead as you may think, a lot depends upon how you
cable modem provider sets up their system. On my comcast@home,
which used to Garden State Cable@home, they use static ip's
(woo hoo :) tied to the cable modem serial #. Even so, before I
put the gateway/firewall in I was continually swapping machines
connected to the cable modem (mac, windoze, linux, hp-ux) and the
local cable modem segment would get very confused with the
different mac addresses trying to use the same ip. Power cycling
the cable-modem box would fix this.

Even now with the gateway in place, the cable modem needs to be
power-cycled every now and then if the local segment goes haywire.

If your provider ties the ip directly to the mac on the network
card then you can use a different card but you have to tell
the provider about it (a quick, oooh lightning took out my
network cards should be a sufficient reason for them.)

Mike