Re: Sorry..

%% Idimmu Xul <idimmuxul@technologist.com> writes:

  ix> Also would i be correct in saying that I shouldn't have gnome
  ix> running while I download and install?

I've never known it to be a problem if you're using an app you upgrade
with apt-get.  It Just Works.

  ix> I dunno.. I just don't want to kill of my Debian install.. whilse
  ix> also being able to have the funky looking verison of gnome that my
  ix> RedHat mate has!!  :-)

IMO the best way to get Helix GNOME is to add their Debian site to your
APT source list.

Once your system is installed, edit /etc/apt/sources.list file (you must
be root, of course) and add these lines:

  #
  # Helix GNOME
  #
  deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
  deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/evolution/distributions/Debian ./
  deb-src http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

Those are the locations for Helix GNOME binaries, sources, and the
binaries for the prerelease of Evolution (in case you want to play with
that).

Now, run "apt-get update" as normal (or, however you normally update
your package list), and it'll grab the latest package info.

Now you can install it however you like; go get "everything including
the kitchen sink" you can "apt-get install task-helix-gnome".  If you
just want the basics, try "apt-get install task-helix-core", then you
can "apt-get install" other specific utilities as you like.

Of course, from now on a simple "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" will
give you all the latest versions.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development