Re: Mozilla eats even more memory

> 	Right, so it's not a bug in my top-like program, just a bug in the
> kernel :-)

some people really think this way. but linus insists on doing it his way -
and he is right. :-)

> 	Mind you, if the memory space is always identical (surely position
> as well as size)
> 	then why is it difficult to find shared threads?   Very naïve of me
> I know, but surely
> 	you don't need to go too deep into the system to find the base
> address of a process.

of course, it is very simple to find it out - at system level.
the process descriptors point to the same mm structure, so everything is
clear.
the problem is the user space. i don't know, if there is any interfaces
which makes this internal memory manager information public to the user
space. but even if it exists, then the user-space program would have to
actively use it (in that case you were right - it could be called buggy
(or at least out of date) if it did not use the interface.

regards

Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
--
Become part of the world's biggest computer cluster -
join http://www.distributed.net/