Re: Print to windows Printer?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 01:15:43PM -0600, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Anyone have a quick and dirty on setting up a Potato box to print to
> a windows based printer, or a cut-paste they can send me?

See
[http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/umnaintained/mini/Print2Win]

If that doesn't help, I have done it.  Ha, Ha, in my room, the windows box
sits in the corner as a print server and debian is on the desktop.

Well, the windows machine is on my roomate's desktop...  I just though that
was an amusing role reversal.

That HOWTO leaves out one important thing.  At least for me, I happen to
have gs drivers for the printer in question.  I first run my print jobs
through that and send the binary printer-ready data to the windows machine.
Since I use linux to "render" the print jobs, Windows doesn't have to have
the postscript driver installed.  This is good for me since the windows
computer is my roomate's.

My scripts that do this are a bit kludgy, but they work, at least for this
partiular printer (Canon 6000).  If you want them, I will send them to you.

--
Pat Mahoney	<patmahoney@gmx.net>

linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
(ksh@cis.ufl.edu put this on Tshirts in '93)