SmartList: problem subscribing

I'm using Debian 2.2, Exim 3.1, procmail 3.13.1 and SmartList.

I've installed Smartlist using dselect.  I can create a list.  But I
cannot get anyone subscribed to the list or if I add an address
manually, Smartlist will not send out any messages to that person.

The only changes I've made to the configuration were:

Adding to my /etc/aliases
<listname>: "| /var/list/.bin/flist <listname>"
<listname>: "| /var/list/.bin/flist <listname>-request"

and setting in /var/list/.etc/rc.init

LOGABSTRACT = yes
VERBOSE = yes
LOGFILE = ../$default/log

When I test with exim -v -bt <listname>
exim indicates the address is deliverable to the pipe program.

When I send in a subscription, exim's log indicates the message was
delivered to the pipe program.  But there is not entry in
/var/list/<listname>/dist and there is no log.

I've also tried changing the pipe alias with:
"|/bin/bash exec /var/list/.bin/flist <listname>"
the mail-daemon returns the message stating:

recipients. The following address(es) failed:

  <listname>-request@chickenusa.org:
    generated |/bin/bash exec /var/list/.bin/flist <listname>:
    Child process of address_pipe transport returned 127 from command:
    /bin/bash

The following text was generated during the delivery attempt:

------ |/bin/bash exec /var/list/.bin/flist <listname> ------

exec: exec: No such file or directory

I would appreciate any advise or suggests on how to fix this problem or
how to test flist.

Wade Parker