ripping audio CDs to soundcard

I posted a question a while back about using the soundcard's D/A instead of
the one in the CDROM drive. I've since tried cdparanoia and
cdda2wav. They both work, but  they both spin the hard disk constantly
when writing  an audio file, even  if the file isn't  being written to
the hard disk. Anyone know why  they are doing this? What I would like
is to  read the data from  the CD and  pipe it to my  soundcard's D/A,
without the hard disk being involved. -chris