Getting an Internal Error trying to install 2.2

Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration

No packages on hold.  Nothing suspicious that I could see.

I'm currently running a 2.1 debian system, or mostly 2.1.  Kernel at 2.0.36.

Here are the messages from the command that was executing:

bash-2.01# apt-get --fix-broken --show-upgraded dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  netstd xserver-common xserver-svga
  apache-common bootpc cfingerd finger fping ftp icmpinfo itcl3.0 libcw libdb2
  libgpmg1 libncurses5 libnewt0 libpam-modules libpam-runtime libpam0g libpng2
  libpopt0 libreadline4 libstdc++2.10 libwrap0 make patch perl-5.004
  perl-5.004-base perl-5.004-doc pidentd rdate rdist rsh-client ruptime rusers
bash-2.01# o rwhod slang1 tcl8.0 tcpd tetex-lib tftp tk8.0 traceroute whiptail
The following packages have been kept back
  xbase-clients xserver-vga16
The following packages will be upgraded
  adduser ae afio apache apt base-files base-passwd bash bind binutils
  bsdutils cooledit cpio cpp cron debianutils diald dialog diff dotfile
  dotfile-ipfwadm dpkg dpkg-dev dpkg-ftp dpkg-mountable dpkg-perl e2fsprogs ed
  eject fdflush file fileutils findutils fvwm-common fvwm95 fvwm95-icons gawk
  gcc gpm grep groff gzip hostname isapnptools ldso libc5 libc6 libc6-dev
  libdb1 libgdbm1 libgdbmg1 libncurses4 libnet-perl libpcap0 libreadline2
  libreadlineg2 libstdc++2.8 lilo locales login lpr lrzsz m4 magicfilter
  makedev manpages mawk mbr mime-support minicom modconf modutils motifnls
  mount mtools ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses3.4 netbase passwd perl
  perl-base ppp procps psmisc sed setserial shellutils sysklogd syslinux
  sysvinit tar tcpdump tcsh tetex-base tetex-bin textutils tkdesk update
  util-linux vim wmnet xcontrib xfree86-common xlib6 xlib6g xpm4.7 xpm4g xterm
  zip zlib1g
111 packages upgraded, 43 newly installed, 3 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/49.8MB of archives. After unpacking 43.3MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r0 _Potato_ -
 Official i386 Binary-1 (20000814)' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

E: Internal Error, Could not perform immediate configuration

Note that up until the error occurred, I was seeing a percent number increment, which didn't show up here 'cause it was overwriting itself.  It was at 85% when it quit.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I searched the archives, but didn't see anything.

Thanks,
Jim.

--
To see my .signature file, go to http://reality.sgi.com/jwl/signature/