Re: Missing modules - system still silent

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:47:46AM +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

> Many thanks for the help thus far - I was clearly mixing two
> methods of kernel compilation! Now,   I've compiled the kernel
> yet again (8th try I think) and STILL the system can't find the
> modules - that is I get lots of "can't find xxxx module" at boot
> up time.

Can you post which modules are not found ?

> More symptoms.......
> 1. In /lib/modules/2.2.17 there seem to be lots of modules and a
> modules.dep file.

Did you do 'uname --all' to be sure that you are actually running
the server 2.2.17 ?

Here is what you should have for sound in /lib/modules-2-2-17/misc
(assuming you have a sound blaster compatible card ):

sb.o
opl3.o
uart401.o
adlib_card.o
sound.o
soundcore.o

> 2. /etc/modules contains a list of modules

In /etc/modules.conf, I have

alias char-major-14 sb
options sb irq=5 dma=1 io=0x0220 mpu_io=0x300 # your numbers may be different,OC
post_install sb /sbin/modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
options adlib_card io=0x0388

Actually, I have these lines in a file, /etc/modules/sound, so that they
are put in /etc/modules.conf when I or the package manager run modules-update
(this is the Debian Way to write modules config, I believe ... )

HTH etc... etc...

> Glyn M.
>

> --

Ciao