Re: Samba via inetd, not a good idea?

-> I set up Samba to run via inetd (and through tcpd) so I coud easily
-> control host access (default deny-all policy).

This is not correct way to control access to your samba - due to the way how
samba works. Use

-> So I figured I'd better run as daemons instead of from `inetd' and added
-> something like this to the `[global]' section of my `smb.conf'

That's it

->   hosts deny  = ALL EXCEPT localhost	# deny-all policy
->   hosts allow = 172.16.			# private class B network
->
-> and ran `sambaconfig' again.  So far, so good.  I haven't seen any
-> looping in the last few hours.  Uh, after starting it with the `-a'
-> flag (already filed a bug report about this).

-> All in all, it looks like running Samba from `inetd' is not such a
-> good idea.

It's good when you have slow machine which is just someties used as samba
server...

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NEXTRA, Slovakia; IRCNET admin of *.sk
 uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ ; http://www.nextra.sk/