Re: X launchbar?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 04:13:05PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> You should be able to launch apps remotely to X if you ssh with X
> forwarding enabled.  If you're not ssh'ing to systems....

    I am aware of all of that.  In fact SSH makes no difference as long as the
authority on X is set up correctly and the apps honor the display variable.

> The following script is also handy for firing off something and
> returning to the command line:

>     #!/bin/bash
>     # launch arguments
>     exec $@ &
>     exit 0

    However I much prefer a small button bar to constantly typing in things
like the following.

rxvt -bg black -fg white -cr cyan -sl 1500 -fn 8x13bold &!

    Yes, I could write a script.  Yes, I could log in and run that script.
That's all fine and dandy but the point of having the window manager and its
menu is so that I don't have to open up an rxvt each time.  Only decent to
assume that one would like to be able to do something similar with other
machines they are exporting displays which they are not running a window
manager.