Re: X launchbar?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 08:29:15AM -0700, Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org) wrote:

>     Does anyone know of a basic X launchbar?  Basic as in doesn't
>     depend on too many libraries to run.  Gets to be a pain to launch
>     programs from different machines to my local desktop from the
>     command line of each machine.

You should be able to launch apps remotely to X if you ssh with X
forwarding enabled.  If you're not ssh'ing to systems....

I solve the general issue of having a command line by placing a 2x40
xterm with no scrollbar and window widgets disabled (under WindowMaker)
in the top right of my screen.  Need to launch an app?  I roll to it and
fire something up.  It (mostly) fits into the titlebar space of any
windows I've got backed up against the top of my screen.

The following script is also handy for firing off something and
returning to the command line:

    #!/bin/bash
    # launch arguments
    exec $@ &